I heart these guys big time and can’t wait for baby G to get here in August.
I thought it might be helpful to write a guide on informing your first born they will no longer be an only child. Enjoy.
THE HOW TO TELL YOUR FIRST BORN THEY WILL BE GETTING A BABY BROTHER/SISTER
1. Tell your first born you have some exciting news to tell them.
1a. They may think you are just joking around and not actually take you serious. Don’t worry – it happens to the best of us.
2. Tell your child you went out for a date night. She might not believe you at first and accuse you of lying. How dare you do anything fun without her!
3. Explain that when she was spending time with an alternative caregiver Mommy and Daddy went on a date night for some special time together.
3a. Yeah… THAT kind of special time.
4. You should also remind her that she will forever feel embarrassed when it comes to hearing about date night.
5. You need to tell her that date night = new baby. Be excited even when she looks like she is in shock.
6. Finally, remind her you will love her even when she won’t be an only child anymore.
Because I once was told I was going to be getting a little brother I want to remind H – that it will be okay and offer some words of wisdom. He is going to break your stuff and want to watch Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles when you want to watch Jem. He will get new shoes more often because his feet will grow larger and faster and he will definitely leave the toilet seat up. He will read your diary, tattle on you, and say hurtful things to get you worked up. You aren’t going to let older kids pick on him. He is going to be your first best friend. You’ll play pretend and be nice to each other when no one is watching. Once you get over the tattling stage you’ll keep each others secrets. You’ll understand how unreasonable your parents can be and cover for one another. My best advice is to stick together through the highs and lows of life, fight nicely, and always forgive each other.
And if that doesn’t work just nag him until he does what you tell him – works like a charm!